A Travellerspoint blog

Haunting Hawk Channel

Ready to Take off

View Summer, 9-11-2001 - and then the 2nd time down the ICW & 2002 Heart Attack at Shroud Key & Bermuda on greatgrandmaR's travel map.

On 19 December 2001 we left Miami to sail down to Key West (We were actually at Boca Chica where the Naval Air Station is) over Christmas and New Years.

We left there January 6, 2002. We got as far as Little Torch Key FL (Newfound Harbor) where we stayed a couple of days waiting on the weather.
24071112722109-Little_Palm_f.._Torch_Key.jpgLittle Torch Key from our boat

Little Torch Key from our boat

Protected Hawk Channel Anchorage - Little Torch Key

Protected Hawk Channel Anchorage - Little Torch Key

Sandpiper that came to visit us one night

Sandpiper that came to visit us one night

January 9, 2002

We left New Found Harbor and it was such nice sailing weather that Bob put up the sails and went outside the reef right away. This got really boisterous, and I was unhappy, so I insisted that we go back in to Marathon and wait for better weather. Marathon Marina has put in new fixed docks - they are painted turquoise - visible from a long way out.
large_6691a6b0-1d51-11eb-a2a3-278ea909fb69.jpgSunset over the entrance channel

Sunset over the entrance channel

They initially put us on what will be the new fuel dock. They were constructing the dock master’s house.
Our boat with the new dockmaster's house on the right

Our boat with the new dockmaster's house on the right

We were in Marathon for a week.

Just about every day, Bob rode up to Publix and the boat stores on his bike. I took a cab to the library most days to log onto the internet.
I did manage to actually ride his bike around the marina too. (I have trouble because it is too big for me.) Bob went all the way up to Radio Shack to buy the connectors so that I could log onto the SSB (Single SideBand) with the computer and get weather faxes. We've had the stuff to do that for over a year, but it was so intimidating that I just didn't do it. And we couldn't find the connectors that he bought at that time. But he got another set, and I can do that now.

Bob patched up the wear spots on the wood with Cetol (marine varnish), and right after that, while it was still wet, they asked us to move to a slip on the other side.
Which we did. They put us next to this Chinese junk which was for sale at that time.
I understand that it had to be repaired and the owner couldn't pay the slip rent or for the repairs, so now it belongs to the marina which wants to sell it (as of 2004).Seven mile bridge in the distance

Seven mile bridge in the distance

January 16th, 2002
At the end of the week, we left and motored out the channel heading for Rodriguez Key. As we were leaving two of the auto-inflate Personal Flotation Devices aka Life Preservers auto-inflated. I guess it is the humidity, as it was nice weather and not even raining.

Having your auto-inflate PFD inflate would be a good way to scare the hiccups out of someone.
Bob standing at the wheel wearing his PFD (it is orange)

Bob standing at the wheel wearing his PFD (it is orange)

We put up all the sails and turned off the motor. Wind up to 20 knots - weather cloudy. At 1100, the winds were about 16 knots from the NE and it was clear and sunny, but the wind was now against us, so we had to motor. Bob turned on the refrigeration, but the pump kicked off because it lost its prime. (We have two big chest type refrigerator boxes and one freezer box which can be cooled either by the engine or by shore power) I couldn't hear anything on the SSB (single side band) to get weather from Herb. We were headed for Rodriguez Key, but we aren't going to make it all the way there, so we anchored off Tavenier after 42.4 nm (average speed 4.9 knots) at about 1740.

I spent some time calling people. Called Capn charting software people and fixed the Dell so the colors display properly. Called Maptech and they admitted that Bimini is 1 mile NW of where their charts have it. Called Photoworks and asked to be taken off the email list.

January 17th.
Got underway about 0900 and went up to anchor south of Rodriguez Key - another 6.9 nm.- to wait to cross. We had been 107 nm since leaving Boca Chica (Key West). Bob rebuilt the autoinflate PFDs that went off when we were leaving Marathon.

I talked to Herb of Southbound II,on the SSB after turning everything off. Found that the inverter used to run the computer was causing a lot of interference -replaced it with another one which is better but still causes some interference. Herb does weather forecasting and advising for sailors. Southbound was the name of his boat. Called all the children to tell them we were leaving for the Bahamas and called ATT to turn off the cell phone which doesn't work in the Bahamas.
We got underway about 1710 which was way earlier than we really needed to go, except that I wanted to go through the reef in daylight. The wind was from the east, light at first and then a steady 15 knots. I tried to sleep off and on up to 2230, -not much success. Bob put up the main and staysail and dropped the motor back almost to idle, and we motor-sailed close to the wind. Bob went down to sleep @ 2230. I tried to tack because we were going north too quickly [the Gulf Stream flows north very strongly here and carried us north with it], and suddenly I was going backwards (relative to the needed course) at about 2 knots. Bob came up at 0130 - said he didn't sleep much. He tried to tack, -same result as I had had (surprise), so he pulled in the staysail and increased motor revs to get closer to the Bimini course line. Saw various boats going the opposite direction. I went down to sleep, and slept to about 0445. Then Bob went and actually slept some until 0700.

Posted by greatgrandmaR 13:16 Archived in USA Tagged bahamas marathon bimini newfound_harbor

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.